Men's Club Local Rules
Simplified summary of new USGA Rules:
- Lost balls search time is limited to 3 minutes.
- You can putt with the flagstick in – no penalty for hitting the flagstick.
- Ball drop is from knee height.
- Can repair spike marks/etc. on the green.
- Can take relief out of a bunker using the back on a line procedure for a 2 stroke penalty.
- Accidental double hits do not incur a penalty.
- No penalty if you accidentally move your ball during a search – must replace it just as it was before you moved it.
- Free relief for Embedded balls thru the green (including the rough) except in a bunker.
- No penalty for grounding your club or moving loose impediments in Penalty Areas.
- In a bunker, you are allowed to remove stones from around and under your ball (no penalty). 2019 USGA rules 12.2a & 12.2b
- When a player’s ball lies on the putting green, there is no penalty if the ball or ball-marker is accidentally moved. The moved ball must be replaced if it was previously marked, lifted & replaced and then moved. If you never marked, lifted & replaced it, you play the ball from where it now lies. 2019 USGA rule 13.1d. If you accidently moved the marker, replace it at the original spot.
Local Rules: If these local rules conflict with the scorecard, these local rules take precedence.
- Unmarked wooded and long grass areas may be played as a RED Penalty Area *. If a cart path is adjacent to the area, treat the inner (course side) boundary of the cart path as the RED Penalty Area line.
- In bunkers:
- If the ball is in an animal track, place the ball at the nearest point of relief within the bunker, no closer to the hole. Human footprints are not considered animal tracks.
- If your ball lies on or if your swing is affected by exposed landscape lining in the bunker, you are entitled to free relief. You may choose to place your ball either (1) within one club-length of the nearest relief, no nearer the hole or (2) at any point on a line backwards from the pin to where your ball currently lies. Relief must be within the bunker.
- When Preferred Lies are in effect:
- Lift, clean, and place your ball within 6 inches no closer to the hole. Lie must remain the same (cannot go from rough to fairway).
- Allowed anywhere on the course except Penalty Areas, bunkers, greens or within 1 club-length of a tree.
- There are drop areas provided on holes 3, 10, and 16. On hole #16, the drop area also applies to shots into the woods (Penalty Areas.)
- For Wednesday Night events, the Men’s Club Board in accordance with the note in Rule 7-1, allows competitors to practice (i.e. take advantage of the extra holes offered from the course) and play on the course (any holes) prior to the nightly events. That being said, you must submit your score from the first Full round (9 or 18) on the Event course (Front, Back, Full 18).
- For Weekend Stroke Play tournaments, the board prohibits practice on the course on the day of the event in accordance with rule 7-1b. Playing the course before the event will result in Disqualification from the tournament.
- For stroke play, the maximum score allowed on a hole is 10 (Optional rule 21.2 is in effect). Pick up your ball, record a 10 on the scorecard and help speed the pace of play!
* Red Penalty Area relief options (w/1 stroke penalty):
- Re-hit from original spot;
- Drop a ball from knee height behind the Penalty Area, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the Penalty Area directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the Penalty Area the ball may be dropped; or
- Drop a ball outside the Penalty Area within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the Penalty Area
* Out of Bounds (Stroke and Distance) for all Men’s Club competitions:
Hole #1 - White stakes on left to boarder the driving range
Hole #2 - The entire road and left of the road
- Played as a penalty stroke and distance. One stroke penalty and re-hit from previous spot. Announce and hit a provisional ball if you think you went OB.
Men’s Club Handicap Committee has the right to adjust an individual’s handicap index for Men’s Club Events. This will not be done without a conversation with the individual first.
Hole by Hole:
HOLE #1 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- The woods left of fairway past the range and around the back of the green.
- The driving range is out of bounds (white stakes). One stroke penalty and re-hit from previous spot. Announce and hit a provisional ball if you think you went OB.
- The fairway side edge of the road is the out of bounds line (ball on road is O.B.). One stroke penalty and re-hit from previous spot. Hit a provisional ball if you think you went OB.
- Pile of rocks halfway down the fairway left of the cart path is played as an Abnormal Ground Condition. Nearest point of relief plus one club length (i.e. take your stance, mark where the ball is, and drop within one club length and no closer to hole).
HOLE #3 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- The woods/brush right of the cart path.
- If you hit it into the pond, it’s a 1 stroke penalty and you may drop in the Designated drop area just to the right of the Yellow tees or re-tee.
HOLE #4 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- Tall grass along the pond or over pond and into woods
- Woods past the pond left of fairway and around the green
- Tall grassy area right of the fairway past the 150-yard marker
HOLE #5 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- Tall grass area in front and left of the tee boxes
- Tall grass between 4th fairway and pond
- Left of cart path along the fairway into the woods (There is no OB on this hole.)
- Tall grass right and short of the green
HOLE #6 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- Tall grass left and in front of the tee boxes (watch line of flight as that may put you back on tee box)
- Woods left of fairway
- Right of cart path into the tall grass
HOLE #7 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- Woods on left of cart path around back of green
- Tall grass right of fairway and near green
- For a ball hit into the ponds, make sure to watch where it crossed the Penalty Area line. This point might be back near the tee box, depending upon your line of flight.
HOLE #8 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- Tall grass right of tee box for first 100 yards or so (note where your ball entered the area)
- Left of cart path, tall grass
- Tall grass on back side of green
HOLE #9 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- Tall grass in front of tees up to where fairway starts (your drop may be back on tee box)
- Woods left of cart path
- Tall grass past the woods left of cart path up to the green
- Tall grass right of the fairway up to the pond
HOLE #10 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- Tall grass near the green, left of cart path
- Tall grass near the green, past pond and right of green
- If you don’t clear the pond with tee shot, you may use drop area (1 stroke penalty)
- If your ball flies over playable area but ends up in right side pond Penalty Area rules apply.
HOLE #11 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- Woods right side of fairway – drop can be left of cart path until path curves across fairway
- Tall grass left and in front of tee boxes (note where your ball entered the area)
- Tall grass left of fairway up through green (the area between 11th and 17th fairway)
HOLE #12 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- Right or long into the woods
- Pond left of green is a RED Penalty Area. There is no longer a drop area.
- A hit into the woods left of cart path will require a re-hit from the same location.
HOLE #13 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- Woods right side of fairway
- Tall grass left of the cart path (but be careful of line of flight where it last crossed into the tall grass if you can’t find it)
- Woods long and left of the green
- Ponds in front of the tee box play as Penalty Area. Most likely you will have to re-hit tee shot with a penalty. You might be able to take stroke penalty and 2 club lengths from edge of pond.
- If you hit it into the “dry” water retention pond you play it as is.
HOLE #14 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- Woods right of cart path entire length of hole – drop can be left of cart path
- Woods left side of entire fairway
HOLE #15 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- Woods left side of fairway
- Woods right of cart path entire length of hole – drop can be left of cart path
HOLE #16 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- If you hit into the pond or into the woods right of cart path around entire hole, you may use the Designated drop zone just to the right of the Yellow tees or retee (1 stroke penalty)
- Area short of the pond
HOLE #17 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- Woods right side of fairway – drop can be left of cart path
- Tall grass left side of fairway (between 17 and 11 - be careful to watch line of flight where it crossed into tall grass)
- Woods left side near green (the last 50 yards or so)
HOLE #18 - Local Rule 1 applies to:
- Woods right side of cart path – drop can be left of cart path
- Tall grass on the left between 18th fairway and 10th fairway
- Tall grass right of the cart path between the 18th and 9th fairway